Today (April 6th) Nokia has published its annual sustainability report, covering the company’s sustainability performance in 2019 and focusing on four priority areas: improving people’s lives with technology, climate, conducting business with integrity, and people.
As mentioned in the official press release, Nokia’s sustainability achievements in 2019 included :
- In 2019, the networks Nokia supplied to its customers supported 6.4 billion subscriptions worldwide
- In October 2019, Nokia completed its first external human rights assessment for the Global Network Initiative (GNI). The GNI board found Nokia had made good faith efforts over time to implement the GNI Principles on freedom of expression and privacy.
- As part of Nokia’s inclusion and diversity work in 2019, Nokia closed the unexplained pay gap based on pay equity analysis we conducted with Mercer.
- In May 2019, Nokia launched its Helping Hands volunteering and engagement program for employees. Through Nokia’s community investment programs, the company has cumulatively improved the lives of 1,633,500 people globally since 2016 – a strong performance against its 2025 target of 2,000,000 people.
- At the United Nations 2019 climate summit, Nokia joined a group of 87 companies in committing to recalibrate its existing science-based climate targets in line with the 1.5°C warming scenario.
- Nokia delivered zero-emission products to over 150 customers globally.
- 46% less energy was used on average in the customer base-station sites Nokia modernized in 2019 compared to those where its customers did not modernize
Rajeev Suri (President and CEO, Nokia) said :
“Nokia’s People & Planet Report 2019 looks at how we can improve the lives of people – our employees, customers, and wider society – and better care for our environment at the same time. The context our report is being published in has changed because of the coronavirus pandemic, but the fundamental issues remain the same, and, if anything, now have greater urgency because of the challenge the world faces.”
Stay tuned for further updates 🙂